Frequently asked Questions
In 1957 Metal Windows was the first company in Cape Town to enter the niche of window repair and servicing, initially focusing mainly on the steel windows styles of the time.
Now, after 60 years of service to the property owners in the greater Cape Town area, we have an unmatched reputation for diagnosing faults and carrying out repairs, having successfully restored many problem facades of Cape Town’s new and landmark heritage buildings.Decades of experience has given us a unique overview of the industry. Because we are out there viewing and correcting work on entire facades of buildings across all manner of architectural styles and substrates, we have a unique insight into what the others players in our industry are doing, the systems they are using, and common mistakes associated with each type of window and door system available. In short we have seen it all. If you are interested in opening up a balcony, patio, pool room or conservatory or modernising existing windows or doors in your home or commercial enterprise, call now to make an appointment for an personal appointment by Larry or one of his team of window professionals to discuss your requirements.
1. We are a family owned and run company, because of this, all our customers and staff have access to executive management anytime and we encourage an open desk and open line environment, Call our landline number 021 448 4333 and ask to be put through to Larry or Dave Forman, you will immediately have the access to the top management and owners of the company, that you deserve.
2. Good old-fashioned, face-to-face customer service We take your calls directly, we return your calls urgently. We arrange for our experienced Sales Consultants to discuss your requirements, view problems and measure. We then get back to you, quickly, with a written quotation detailing the recommended course of action. Our accurate quotes include technical drawings, dimensions and design recommendations. On confirmation of the project, we will arrange suitable times and dates for work to begin. We will introduce you to your project coordinator, who will be your liaison for the duration of your project, taking care of your concerns and ensuring your comfort and confidence from start to finish. Your coordinator will communicate with the technicians assigned to your project and take care of your safety, site cleanliness and security for the duration of the project. We insist that all our technicians wear branded overalls and name badges, and that you have a reliable contact from the first to the last!
3. Best Product Warranty. Every installation or repair is an investment by our customer in their property, we deliver best value by only installing the best products. All new window products are AAAMSA approved, and tested to withstand the weather exposure that they are likely to encounter where they are installed.
4. Constant Innovation. By constantly researching and developing new and innovative ways to cure window and door related problems including (but not limited to) water ingress, sound transmission, configuration modifications, mechanical malfunctioning, energy efficiency, etc. we strive to present technically sound, value driven solutions at every opportunity.
5. Detail installation We are totally focused on the technically correct detailing of your installation process, including the compatibility of new specified products to existing structures, water-tightness, structural stability and a strict policy of no subcontracted labour to install any of our products, ever!
6. Repair and Servicing. A large proportion of the work undertaken by us is in the servicing and repair of existing windows and doors as well as entire existing building facades. We can repurpose and repair any window from the most old-fashioned sash systems on a Cape Dutch Estate to the most high tech eco-friendly development.
7. Financially Sound We have a superlative financial track record of consistency both with our customers and with our suppliers, we settle on time and get the best margins and service.
8. Loyalty Guarantee We come out when you call. We even assist some of our most loyal customers with finance over extended periods of time to do emergency and immediate repairs and replacement work to their building facades. Our 5-year unconditional warranty is actionable, call us, we will be there for you!
A recent example: A new owner of a flat in Claremont called to ask for advice on his balcony enclosure, he did not know that seven years prior, Metal Windows had installed the balcony. We easily located the records in our archives. We established the nature of the problem with a site visit on the same day as the call came through. We realized that a consistent building fabric related issue, which we had confronted and rectified in our installations in the building from 2006 onwards had not been fitted in his particular case. The problem here is that clearly this balcony enclosure is well out of its warranty period. Not only that but, the ownership of this particular flat has changed twice since our installation was completed seven years prior. After a short meeting of the top management of the company it was decided that the retrofitting of the solution to this balcony enclosure should be done at no charge to the customer. In principle the integrity of our work in the building and the ongoing relationship we have with the management of the building is of utmost importance to us.
This is not an isolated incident, it is the guiding principle of customer service which underpins the Metal Windows difference! There is no other window company in Cape Town which operates at this level of expertise and service.
Our service is complete. Our teams are trained, skilled and experienced at completing all the processes needed to give you a complete, finished job.
We install our Barsdamp® waterproofing system, unique to Metal Windows to forma weather tight connection between the new window and the wall.
We then install the new window securely into the prepared opening and do the necessary plaster repairs. Our repair plaster is prebatched and is hydrated with additives to make it waterproof, and to promote a good bond between the new and the old plaster.
We seal the internal and external perimeters of the new window and leave you with a clean window in a clean room. We will always install the new window into its opening on the same day never leaving you at a security risk.
Metal Windows new Aluminium products come with our ground-breaking unconditional 5 year warranty. This is a fully actionable warranty covering the product, labour and parts in full for the full period. In the unlikely event something goes wrong, one call, and we will be there for you at our cost.
We are a well-established company with a strong track record. We have been around since 1957. We are financially stable. Our products are designed and built using the highest quality materials available.
We have installed the highest windows in Cape Town, on Table Mountain. This means they are exposed to the most extreme weather Cape Town has to offer. You will be buying the most you can get for your money when you buy Metal Windows products.
Our people from our sales consultants to our cleaners are dedicated to one purpose, that is to provide you with a great product, configured appropriately to your needs, installed to the hightest standards and backed up by the only truly actionable warranty in the industry.
Our window systems are specially modified through years of research and development in Cape Town to provide installed products made for Cape Town weather conditions. Our windows are custom designed for you.
Metal windows products are tested and rated for high wind areas. Casement windows which are Top hung are our personal recommendation in high wind areas because they offer the best opportunity for ventilation in bad weather.
What that means is they can be left open during winter without letting wind or water into the room.
Side hung casements can also be effective when they are positioned to open away from prevailing wind. To be sure you have the best configured windows you need one of our expertly trained and experienced sales consultants to come and advise you on a custom solution for your particular needs.
Our Steel windows offer very thin frame lines allowing for a lighter looking framework. Steel is much stronger than Aluminium. Exterior Steel frames must be galvanized in the western cape. The finish on the steel window is normally hand painted onsite and is therefore not as polished as a powder coated Aluminium product. This is part of the natural charm of a steel window product. All the steel window hardware is brass which can be either polished or chrome plated.
A powder coated Metal Windows Aluminium windows is an extremely low maintenance product. Finishes are slick, colour choice is wide. Aluminium windows come equipped with twin weather seals between the opening casement and the frame which make them water and air tight. Aluminium products come from factory to site prefinished and pre glazed (with the glass already in the frame).
Metal Windows Aluminium windows can be configured in so many different ways, double hung, single hung, top hung, side hung, horizontal sliding and large picture configurations are customizable to your own personal tastes.
Every window we make is custom made for that particular client’s project. Any of the above mentioned configurations can be combined to maximize view and sight line, ventilation, thermal and sound reduction performance to truly maximize the aesthetics and functionality of your new Metal Windows installation. .
Our windows are custom designed. We provide personalized service and an in house drawing office to generate professional CAD drawings for each job. We offer creative “out of the box” thinking to resolve difficult window and door related issues. Our “can-do” approach is an uninhibited truly custom vision.
Our window frame sections are extruded to strict SABS standards and are manufactured in South Africa with local conditions in mind. The quality of the underlying Aluminium alloy is assured. Our manufacturing facilities are world class, local and staffed by highly skilled technicians and management. We are constantly engaged in manufacturing process refinement with a strong emphasis on research and development to improve your final product. Before installation our quality control system triple checks each window and door product.
Metal Windows Aluminium windows are water and rust proof, provide reduction of both noise and dust pollution, are economical to install and will require little maintenance over a long lifetime.
Our heavier frame sections provide greater structural frame strength. This gives You, the customer greater design flexibility and enables Metal Windows to create your custom window and door solution.
Metal Windows unique BarsDamp® waterproofing system can be fitted with any of our Aluminium window and door designs. The patented BarsDamp® moisture deflecting system is only available from Metal Windows. It is employed specifically where building facades are oriented directly into the weather or have a history of water ingress. The BarsDamp® system is customizable to your unique building façade requirement.
Metal windows offers a specific “wood replacer” Aluminium system. This uses heavy frame sections to replicate the heavier sight lines of your original wooden window frames. By powder coating to a specific colour we can replicate your existing wooden window look.
We can plan to install a window replacement programme, progressively. You do not have to replace all of your windows at once. This is important for apartment blocks where windows are not all replaced simultaneously. Metal Windows also offer excellent Steel and uPVC windows options.
Before you spend energy and money on refinishing your existing wood windows consider full replacement with our Metal Windows, low maintenance products.
Yes! Metal Windows will clearly indicate the types and thicknesses of the sections that we will propose for your project. We want you to be fully informed by our offer and we want to give you the benefit of our experience in choosing the correct sections for your specific, custom needs.